Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Toddler finds gun in closet, unintentionally shoots and kills himself. Father defends 2nd Amendment

Three and a half year old Damon Holbrook, of Dundee, Michigan found a loaded, unlocked .40 caliber Smith and Wesson handgun on a closet floor in the house where he lives. Damon picked up the gun and discharged the weapon, shooting himself in the head. Paramedics tried to revive the boy at the house before taking him to the hospital. Damon was declared dead in the emergency room.
The gun belonged to 30-year-old Joshua Greenhill who also lived in the house. Greenhill was arrested and charged with careless discharge causing injury or death. The charge is a misdemeanor punishable by up to two years in prison.
The day after the shooting, Damon's father posted on his Facebook page:
Yesterday I lost my 3yrd son to a gun accident. We r all hoping to wake up from this nightmare. Though we know that it is now a living nightmare. My baby boy is gone & I will never get to hold him again. I will miss him terribly.
I have nothing wrong with guns it's with this country was built on. I will still support the Second Amendment.
All I ask is that everyone please, please safety first lock it up and put it out of reach of anyone that has no business being around a gun especially kids.
Statistics show that up to 80 percent of first and second graders, who live in a home with a firearm, know where the firearm is kept. In addition, some firearms are made with a very light trigger action, enabling young children to shot the gun.

No comments: