18-year-old Conner Weeks of Columbus, Georgia was in the bathroom in his house when a bullet smashed through the window and stuck him in the right side. Three of Conner's friends were in the backyard looking at weapons when one of the boys unintentionally discharged a shotgun sending the bullet into the bathroom.
Conner was taken to the hospital where he underwent surgery, but he was pronounced dead shortly before 1 a.m. Preliminary autopsy results show Conner died of a single gunshot wound to the upper right torso.
Law enforcement officials say accidental firearm discharges are very common, especially during hunting season. "I think the important thing is to focus on the things we have been told our entire lives by our grandparents and parents is we assume that all firearms are loaded," said a Muscogee County sheriff. "Not only is the firearm itself dangerous loaded or unloaded but the ammunition itself is dangerous also, it's an explosive."